07 March 2006

what to do...


So, a question -- what can you make with one skein of yarn with extreme variation in thickness? I've seen yarn like this around, but never messed around with it. I tried playing with this yarn today (I'm envisioning a gift for my friend S who seems to need a pick-me-up) but I have no idea how to deal with it - what size needles? what kind of project? I had initially thought fingerless gloves (my fall back one-skein project) but it seems the variation is too much. Then I thought neato airy scarf, but I can't figure out a pattern (I hate - HATE - garter stitch scarves... really, even stockinette scarves... I actually don't really like knitted scarves at all, but maybe that's because I haven't found a good pattern yet.... yes, i know it's weird for a knitter to dislike knitted scarves. hey, my first project was a hat... I never really went through the garter stitch scarf phase). Any ideas? See how much it varies?


Other notes -- finished hourglass:

Pattern: Hourglass Sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts (won't link again...)
Yarn: Knitpicks Andean Silk in "Pool"
Needles: Addi Natura US 7 24" Circular, Clover Bamboo US 7 dpn
Started: 7 February 2006
Finished: 4 March 2006

Notes: I can't believe it actually took me a month to finish... it seems to have spun along a lot quicker.... No modificationsn at all, except that I knit the sleeves on dpns (don't like using circulars for sleeves) and I screwed up on the first sleeve and didn't start the above-the-elbow increases until later than told, so I repeated it on both sides (couldn't bear to rip out several inches of sleeve). It looks great on. It's off in the mail to Melissa and hopefully she'll send me a picture of it on. This was a quick and easy knit... I love doing raglan shoulders. I'd make myself one, but I have monkey-long arms and have gotten in the habit over the years of pushing my sleeves up all the time. I couldn't stand not being able to do it in this sweater. Maybe I'll modify it... but not until my yarn diet is over. I love Andean Silk. It does sometimes have small imperfections, but nothing that would make me not want to use it. It has lovely drape. And it's very soft.

3 comments:

mumblingmonkey said...

You could make a hat with that yarn. I did, but ripped it out because it made my head look funny. It won't be the tightest-knit fabric as a result of the variance, but you could either line it or double-knit it to compensate. Unless you claimed to hate hats and I just didn't read carefully, in which case, I apologize.

Theresa said...

Really, you can make anything. The uneveness is a design feature, right? I'd use an intermediate needle size - maybe a 6 or 7 from what it looks like in the picture. Fingerless mitts would be cute - if not incredibly warm.

Ann-Marie MacKay said...

ooh the hourglass sweater is beautiful!! i just ordered my andean silk in orange.
how many skeins did it take you, if you don't mind me asking?
i live in canada and have to send my knitpicks order to my sister in NY, so i'm hoping i ordered enough...