16 December 2006

Searching for Mojo...

It's not that I haven't been knitting, or even having some FOs. It's just that I'm not excited about the quality of my knitting. My mojo? It's gone. For example, my Koigu Monkey socks. Gauge off, recently frogged. Or these:


Fingerless gloves for a friend. I ran out of yarn. Again. I just don't have the strength to frog two things in one day.

You'd think an FO would make me feel better.


Pattern: My own (losely based on Minty's Anastasia socks)
Yarn: Knitpicks Gloss in "dusk"
Needles: Inox US 1.5 (2.5 mm) dpns


Thoughts: Well... I love the idea of these socks. I'm not loving the Gloss so much right now. It shows every. single. mistake. Really. It makes me feel like I can't knit to save my life. (see the uneveness below? Yeah. That's on the TOP of one foot. After blocking. Ugh).


But the pattern? I knit the first of these on the flight to Hawaii. Despite a minor setback, I finished the second several days ago. I love that the mirror each other. I love the continuation of the eyelet spiral onto the heel flap (this was Jenfee's suggestion... she's smart). I think they're sexy (well, sexy as far as handknit socks go).


Here's to hoping my mojo comes back soon. I've got a week to get a lot of Christmas knitting done. Not to mention that thing they call a dissertation...

10 comments:

melissa said...

i LOVE your socks! the color, and as you say, the mirroring of the swirl, and how it goes down the heel. love it! you have made me think twice about using gloss though, even though in theory it sounds so nice.

i hope you get your knitting done in time! though i find that late christmas gifts are always still appreciated, especially if they're hand made.

Chris said...

Those are wonderful socks! Did you soak them and then block? Or just steam block them? I've discovered that a good soak helps almost everything.

Anonymous said...

Love the next-generation Anastasia! When I was developing the pattern for the Anastasias, I wanted the eyelets in the toe area too; feedback was mixed (or people really didn't like the effect). I wish I'd stuck with it--I love the way it looks in the heel! Great work. I'd try blocking again and then tugging and pulling and generally abusing the socks to try to even out the stitches. Still, they're socks, and no one's looking that closely.

Meg said...

They look fab!

BrownPants said...

I think the socks are great!

Jennifer said...

Hi Jennie,

I just found your blog. The socks are beautiful. I love the touch of lace spiralling down the back of the heel. Good luck also on your dissertation. I just finished up my dissertation this autumn and I know it can be a long haul. Hang in there!

jennie said...

pardon me. just testing something...

Beth said...

It's also not giving the option to leave a comment on your newest post.

There's a blogger beta google group that discusses some of that stuff here: http://groups.google.com/group/blogger-help-troubleshoot

and I keep seeing the suggestion to enable Post Pages under Archiving to help with comments issues so I'd give that a try.

Alison said...

Hi Jennie. These socks are *awesome*.

I just switched to Beta, too, and I actually notified Blogger yesterday of the problem with "no-reply" e-mail addresses. I'll let you know if they tell me how to fix it.

(brainylady@hotmail.com)

Theresa said...

Definitely sexy, I agree!