08 January 2007

Plays well with others, but...

Cannot follow directions. Case in point -- my first FO of 2007 (Let's home this isn't a sign of things to come!)


Pattern: Well, it was supposed to be the Spindle Socks, but I can't follow directions, so I guess it's really my own.
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino, 2 skeins, in color #340002 (a beautiful pale green)
Needles: Clover bamboo dpns, 2.75 mm (US 2)

Thoughts/Modifications: Well, like I said, I can't follow directions. I misread the pattern and didn't notice that there was a 2 purl column between each set of three cables (when the cable change direction). I didn't notice this until I'd done all the ribbing and started the first set of cables. But I was on a time constraint (I was desperately trying to finish socks for my girlfriends from college before we all met up in Boston. I didn't succeed. But I'm much farther along than last year, when I finished the last pair in July!). So I fudged the pattern a little and got it to work out so there were still six cables (three in each direction) across the front. It wasn't until I reached the toe of the first sock that I noticed this:


See it? When I picked up stitches along the heel flap and began knitting in the round again, I inadvertently switched the direction of the cables. All of them. Again, no time to rip back. So I just repeated all of my mistakes on the second sock. Oh well. They are still delicious socks -- great color (can you tell I'm craving spring?), I love this cable, and the cashermino is so squishy and decadent on the feet. Anna's pattern is wonderful too -- very easy to cable with out a cable needle (thanks to the slipped stitches in those cables) and knits up quickly. They're blocking now, and then they're off in the mail to Mel. I might have to make myself a pair (following the directions, of course).

In other news, I joined the 2007 UFO Resurrection. I'm gonna get my WIPs under control (this is one of my New Years Yarn Resolutions -- along with only knitting from stash for the months of January and February... possibly even March!). My list of UFOs so far (and I know there'll be more)?

1. Swallowtail shawl
2. New England Socks
3. TSALP (still)
4. Mom's Faroese shawl (frog pond)
5. Union Square Market (frog pond)
6. Spitey's Sweater (frog pond, when I feel capable)
7. Kitty Pi
8. Anthropologie Sweater (frog pond, I think...)
9. Orangina

I've gotten a head start on #1 (and, indirectly, #5)... I put it down months ago when I realized I was going to run out of yarn. I couldn't find more on my last trip to Philly and the poor thing has been sitting around 15 rows from completion. So this weekend, I finally picked it back up and re-evaluated the yarn situation. I thought that perhaps the yarn still attached to my unfrogged beginning of the Union Market Sweater might do the trick. So I painstakingly ripped it out (and believe me, this was no fun -- alpaca is sticky!),


rewound it, and am now plugging away (after doing my very first spit-felted join... I'm never weaving in ends again!). I hope to have the thing blocking by midweek. Hurrah!

4 comments:

melissa said...

spit splicing is my favorite thing, ever! makes life sooo much easier.

Veronique said...

It totally looks like the change in the cabling direction is on purpose! As EZ would say: knitter's choice!
Have fun re-discovering your UFOs.

Meg said...

Congrats on getting underway with the WIPs. Can't wait to see the finished #1 !

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you have any UFOs; I swear you're always finishing things! The socks look great, despite your "modifications."