13 March 2006

losing track and Stash Busting, Spring 2006

I've not been posting much recently, or at least not much of substance. My parents were visiting from Charlottesville this weekend. It was fun to show them around and see some stuff I haven't actually gotten a chance to explore yet. They left yesterday morning, and I've been focusing on work (non-knitting related work, that is) ever since. I have an abstract deadline on Wednesday and some interviews to figure out, and they've been sucking up my thoughts.

But, a girl needs a knitting break every now and then, so I thought I would assess my project status right now, make some plans for my yarn, and come up with a stash-busting strategy (remeber -- not allowed to buy yarn until I knit a significant portion of what I have). So... On the needles or in the immediate line up right now, we have:

1. Orangina -- I'm about 1/2 way up the back.
2. Batman's Jaywalkers - I'm on the heel flap of sock #1. I was supposed to get these to her for Christmas. Maybe I should just finish them already...
3. STR Jaywalkers for me - I'm pretty much done with the heel... and tired of jaywalking
4. Child's Placket sweater for my godson - this needs to get finished ASAP for his birthday
5. Fingerless gloves for my cousin - these are a commission from my mom. Need to think yarn and sizing. Any ideas how big around the hands of a fairly small 9 year old are?
6. Camisole from LMKG out of silk - I just can' twait to start this...

Right now, I have 64 skeins in my stash, including yarn for the projects listed above. I also have a lot of 'left over' yarn, but didn't count that. So... It's March 13. I think I should be able to halve my stash by May 13. That's a skein every two days or so. Not so hard... We'll see how that goes.

Lastly, an FO shot -- I knitted my mom a pair of fingerless gloves from LMKG while she was here this weekend with yarn leftover from Melissa's Hourglass. Here they are:


Pattern: Wristwarmers from Last Minute Knitted Gifts
Yarn: Knitpicks Andean Silk in "Pool" ('over-stock' from the Hourglass Sweater)
Needles: Clover Bamboo dpns, US 7
Started: March 11, 2006
Finished: March 12, 2006

Notes: These were a little experiment to see if this yarn itched my mom (she is very sensitive to wool these days and I wanted to know if the Andean Silk itched as much as, say, alpaca does). It was also a good way to bust a skein from my stash (unfortunately before the great stash-busting caper of Spring 2006). Again, this is the easiest and quickest design and I love the stitch pattern (though I think the combo of stitch and yarn with my mom's tiny bone structure makes these look a little bulky on her. But she loves them and that's all that matters).

1 comment:

Theresa said...

What's wrong with a little stash? Seriously, the tools of your craft. I wouldn't be terribly worried about 64 skeins . . .