09 January 2007

Cure All

I was having a really down day. That is, until I unpinned this:



Pattern: Swallowtail Shawl, from Interweave Fall 2006
Yarn: Drops Alpaca 2 skeins (plus some Misti Alpaca laceweight in black...I ran out of yarn)
Needles: Addi Natura circulars, 4.5 mm, US 7


Thoughts: There are no words for the joy this shawl makes me feel. This is my first completed and blocked lace, and I'm hooked. I ran out of yarn at the end which was frustrating, but in the end, I just decided to use black for the last border, just like the tail of the Swallow bird:


(I didn't really put that much thought into it at the time, but I like the argument).


I'm wearing it now... maybe it will help me write this grant application quicker. If not, then at least it made me feel better! Lace and fresh bread will cure al ills...

11 comments:

Meg said...

That is just breathtaking! I love your solution to running out of yarn at the very end.

Anonymous said...

I agree with breathtaking, and I am not usually among the biggest of lace fans. The contrast border makes the shawl, in my opinion.

Congratulations.

Beth said...

gorgeous! Love the contrasting border, brilliant :)

Anonymous said...

ABSOLUTELY stunning. congrats!

Anonymous said...

Man, girl! I throw my hands up--there's no way I can keep up with all your FOs! Every time I turn around you've finished some gorgeous thing. I love the contrasting border--totally can be explained as mimicking the swallowtail bird, sure!

Dave said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I love that blue, and yes, the black border/solution thingy is fantastic.

Alison said...

Stunning, Jennie!!

Unknown said...

gasp! that is absolutely gorgeous! i actually really like the black edging on the shawl.

handknit168 said...

I haven't thought that the edge of shawls can be in different colour. It looks great and beautiful.

Theresa said...

I love the contrast edging - fabulous! It really adds a whole 'nother dimension. Glad you're converted to lace. You know what they say about the zeal of a convert!

Chris said...

It is spectacular! I LOVE the black border.