04 December 2006

Conwy socks (2 down, 13 to go)


Pattern: Conwy socks, from Knitting on the Road
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, in "watercolor"
Needles: Knitpicks dpns, US 0
Started:
Completed: 3 December 2006

Thoughts: Well, I messed up the pattern from the get-go by using US 0s. Too small to make a substantial sock. So I modified the number of decreases and the heel gusset so they weren't too small (although I had originally intended them for me, I am now gifting them to a smaller footed friend. Me: 1, Christmas: 0). I love the pattern -- looks complicated, knits up easily. And the yarn? Well, the striping obscures the pattern a leetle bit, but I love the colors, love the yarn, especially love the fabric it makes (so dry, almost crunchy-squishy -- that's a good thing). That said, it's gonna be a while before I use 0s again. My hands hurt.


In other news, I feeling very proud of myself. I used to just let mistakes go -- I was a spur-of-the-moment, fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants knitter. I'm not sure what happened in the last few weeks, but something's changed. Yesterday, I was using lifelines. Today, I did this:


I spent half an hour tediously ripping down eight rows to correct a mistake I made doing a seedstitch panel. Not only did I do it once, I did it four times (in seedstitch, you mess up one stitch, you mess up all that follow. sheesh). Honestly, the mistake was barely noticeable. But the second I noticed it, I couldn't let it go. It looks so much better.

I leave you with a gratuituous kitten shot:


This is Phoebe (and the first picture I've gotten of her since she was a kitten that really looks like her, and not generic black cat), literally wrapped up in her favorite toy. It's a feather bob with a bell attatched with elastic string to a plastic stick. She loves it. She loves it when I shake it and run around with it, and she loves to just carry it around in her mouth, dragging the stick after her. It's really cute.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you need a crochet hook! makes fixing stitches several rows back much faster to do--though fixing seed stitch is a bear no matter what. cute kitty :)

Anonymous said...

aww, phoebe! she is so cute. i always get frustrated when i try to photograph my black kitty, spike - he either has 'flash face' or no face at all. this could have something to do with my crappy camera, but still, annoying!

Chris said...

Oh, lovely Conwys! Heh, I knew I was a "real" knitter when I started fixing those mistakes. Phoebe is gorgeous! May and Chaos drag the wand toy around sometimes, too.

Anonymous said...

your socks look fabulous. great work.