04 December 2006

Conwy socks (2 down, 13 to go)


Pattern: Conwy socks, from Knitting on the Road
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, in "watercolor"
Needles: Knitpicks dpns, US 0
Started:
Completed: 3 December 2006

Thoughts: Well, I messed up the pattern from the get-go by using US 0s. Too small to make a substantial sock. So I modified the number of decreases and the heel gusset so they weren't too small (although I had originally intended them for me, I am now gifting them to a smaller footed friend. Me: 1, Christmas: 0). I love the pattern -- looks complicated, knits up easily. And the yarn? Well, the striping obscures the pattern a leetle bit, but I love the colors, love the yarn, especially love the fabric it makes (so dry, almost crunchy-squishy -- that's a good thing). That said, it's gonna be a while before I use 0s again. My hands hurt.


In other news, I feeling very proud of myself. I used to just let mistakes go -- I was a spur-of-the-moment, fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants knitter. I'm not sure what happened in the last few weeks, but something's changed. Yesterday, I was using lifelines. Today, I did this:


I spent half an hour tediously ripping down eight rows to correct a mistake I made doing a seedstitch panel. Not only did I do it once, I did it four times (in seedstitch, you mess up one stitch, you mess up all that follow. sheesh). Honestly, the mistake was barely noticeable. But the second I noticed it, I couldn't let it go. It looks so much better.

I leave you with a gratuituous kitten shot:


This is Phoebe (and the first picture I've gotten of her since she was a kitten that really looks like her, and not generic black cat), literally wrapped up in her favorite toy. It's a feather bob with a bell attatched with elastic string to a plastic stick. She loves it. She loves it when I shake it and run around with it, and she loves to just carry it around in her mouth, dragging the stick after her. It's really cute.

5 comments:

Mintyfresh said...

you need a crochet hook! makes fixing stitches several rows back much faster to do--though fixing seed stitch is a bear no matter what. cute kitty :)

Anonymous said...

aww, phoebe! she is so cute. i always get frustrated when i try to photograph my black kitty, spike - he either has 'flash face' or no face at all. this could have something to do with my crappy camera, but still, annoying!

Chris said...

Oh, lovely Conwys! Heh, I knew I was a "real" knitter when I started fixing those mistakes. Phoebe is gorgeous! May and Chaos drag the wand toy around sometimes, too.

amanda said...

love the conwys!!! and it drives hubby insane to watch me fix mistakes since he says it's nick picky...well maybe so but you know it's there so fix it or it'll bother you forever!

Anonymous said...

your socks look fabulous. great work.