01 February 2006

sigh...

I wrote a long post earlier but then had problems loading photos so I never posted it. Now, several hours later, I don't want to post it because I'm feeling blah and that post is so chipper... I don't know what my problem is. It's probably due to the fact that I'm just now, at 5:15, having my first cup of coffee. I was up past three last night working on the amorphous, wine-colored blob that is my shrug. Just now started picking up the stitches for the ribbing around the body. I'm worried I'm going to run out of yarn. Running out of yarn when you live three hours from a LYS (and the yarn you're using is knitpicks) sucks. Really. But the shrug itself makes me happy. I need to block it, I think, to deal with some curling issues, but really I'm hoping that the ribbing takes care of that. No pictures yet, mostly because I can't figure out how to get a good picture of me wearing it...

What else? I did a genius repair job on a sweater belonging to my now-ex-boyfriend (to be known as Spitey from here on out - and no, that doesn't really have anything to do with spite. it's a long running nickname, from before my time). Spitey got this sweater when he lived in Colorado, and it's a beautiful English wool sweater that seems, for no apparent reason, to be disintegrating. There aren't any snares or catches, he hasn't ripped it on anything. It's just falling apart.
So I did the best I could to reinforce the area around the holes, pull the stitches together, and keep them from unravelling. I think I did a pretty decent job. You can't see the hole from right side unless you know it's there. I fixed a big hole in the front before I moved to Virginia in November. When I was back in Philly over the holidays, Spitey pointed out the new holes. I didn't have time to fix them while I was there, so I took it home with me. I wish I knew why this was happening. Any ideas?

Coffee is kicking in. I need to gear up to go jam. I'm not looking forward to it -- I sliced my left hand index finger open two nights ago while slicing bread (what I deserve for being so excited about toast with honey and peanut butter that I wasn't looking at where I was slicing). The left hand index finger is integral to banjo playing. I tried to play this afternoon and wasn't too successfull. The guys at the jam always give me a lot of grief when I don't play. I just can't deal with that today. sigh...

Sorry so much whining. I won't post again until I'm in a better mood :)

3 comments:

kathy in Juneau said...

Hey Jennie-
I've been lurking on knitting blogs for the last few months. Trying to compensate for my loss of knitting companions due to a move. Anyway, been thinking I should come out of the closet and your ex-boyfriend's sweater apparently created the impetus I needed. I'm thinking the holes are due to moths.

There .. I've done it. I'm sure I'll be back. k.

Deborah said...

I knit an aran vest (Penny Straker pattern - does anyone know those? they're terrific) for my father in 1985. Beautiful Shetland wool. Soon (a year or two) after I made it he brought it back to me in Colorado and it was full of holes, just like the ones in your photos, Jennie. I couldn't figure it out and it's plagued me ever since. But several days ago I had a sudden revelation that the holes were moth holes. That's the only explanation other than defective yarn and I would have noticed that while I was knitting. My guess is that your ex's sweater has suffered moth attacks. Deborah

Laura said...

I'm with Kathy and Deborah. It's most likely moths! Cedar chips, or lavender sachets should help.