08 December 2006

Darning Help

Last Christmas, I made my mom a pair of socks. You might remember them:


Evidently, they were a big hit, because they were worn. A lot.



I took them back from mom when I was home for Thanksgiving in the hopes that I could repair them, but I have no idea how to go about doing this. Any advice? These were knit with a regular heel flap, and although the flap itself is in great shape (as are the toes and the rest of the sole), the bottom of the heel is a complete disaster. I have plenty of yarn leftover from both socks... Is there a way to repair this? I've never really understood how darning worked, but I wonder if that is a remedy for this situation or if the holes are just too big. Can I snip the old yarn where I turned the heel (keeping the heel flap and somehow preserving those stitches) and knit a new heel? Help!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I usually darn mine by duplicate stitching over the weak stitches and well into the strong ones before the hole is totally blown out. But these have gone a bit farther, hunh? In "Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook" Lynn Vogel talks a bit about repairing socks. I've never tried it yet, but it seems like a good idea: basically you snip a stitch just beyond the heel and gusset area (on the foot part), pick out the stitches and set the foot aside(putting stitches on needles or a holder if you want). Then unravel all the way up to the ankle (or maybe just to the good part of the heel flap in your case) and then totally reknit a new heel and gusset, then graft the new bit onto the old piece of foot. Good luck. If you do it, take pictures!

Theresa said...

I have a darning tutorial on my blog in April. You can reknit this by picking up good stitches from the heel flap and basically knitting the short row part, but for the K2tog parts, picking up good stitches from the side and knitting them together with your new knitting. Email me if you have more questions.

Laura said...

oh my god, thank you jennie for asking this question, and thank you theresa and aimee for your comments! my sundara calla lily socks have holes in exactly the same places, and i have been SICK about it. i think i may be able to fix them now! but i'm going to remember that duplicate stitch idea for the future. maybe i should go take a look at the bottoms of all my socks. :)

Meg said...

As you know, I know nothing about socks. I was going to say "Ask Theresa" but I see she's beaten me to it!

Chris said...

I'm glad you got great answers already, because mine would be something like "Frame them and knit a new pair"!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just posted a short list of helpful darning links over on my blog. Come visit -- maybe it will help! Shame to see a lovely pair of jaywalkers go obselete. BTW, what yard did you use? It's beautiful!